The Mission Historical Museum is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization, which first opened its doors in 2002, and serves the community of Mission and visitors to the area. The Museum maintains both permanent and temporary exhibits, and presents a variety of events and programs for all ages.
The Museum is housed in two buildings located in downtown Mission. The Shary Building, which carries a Texas historical marker, was built by Valley pioneer John H. Shary in 1939, and housed his business offices until purchased by the City of Mission in 1960. The structure was transformed into a museum after serving as Mission’s City Hall for many years. The Post Office building was built in 1940. It houses an original WPA mural, the only one that still exists in the Valley.
A new landscape project was completed in the Summer of 2013 linking the two buildings and providing outdoor performance space.
Come and visit us to learn about the wonders of Mission, Texas!